Inquiry-based teaching is a pedagogical approach that invites students to explore academic content by posing, investigating, and answering questions. This approach puts students’ questions at the center of the curriculum, and places just as much value on the component skills of research as it does on knowledge and understanding of content. – Inquiry Based Teaching
What can inquiry complicate in the classroom?
- Go to – http://www.galileo.org/tips/inquiry.html
- Choose a lesson/unit that relates to your teaching group
- Break down what they crafted for questioning research, discussion, creating and reflection.
- What standards are being addressed?
- How is student voice being valued?
- Do you think the timeline was realistic?
- How technology used? How might it have been used differently?
- Was the student work shared with the community? If so, how so? If not, what could have been done to provide a greater audience for the work?
Edutopia – Four Strategies to Spark Curiosity
With a partner – choose one of the project ideas below. How would you scaffold curiosity for these projects?
- Pink and Say – http://users.manchester.edu/Student/BEDawes/index.htm
- Kinder Harvest – http://www.bie.org/videos/video/elementary_project_kindergarten_harvest
- Explorer Student Projects – http://www.bie.org/videos/video/explorer_elementary_student_projects
- Courtyard Redesign – http://www.bie.org/videos/video/elementary_project_courtyard_re-design
- Passion Projects – http://stumpteacher.blogspot.com/2012/09/passion-projects.html
- From Worms to Wall Street: http://www.edutopia.org/newsome-park-elementary-project-learning-video
- Waterworks – http://www.edutopia.org/ferryway-ironworks-integrated-studies-video
- Nature Mapping – http://www.edutopia.org/naturemapping-technology-fieldwork-video
- Butterfly Migration – http://www.edutopia.org/journey-north-butterfly-migration-project-video
- Geo-Literacy Project – http://www.edutopia.org/geography-literacy-elementary-project-video
- Sample Units: http://wveis.k12.wv.us/teach21/public/project/Mainmenu.cfm
What is the role of the teacher in an inquiry driven classroom?
Links on Inquiry Education – http://delicious.com/dlaufenberg/inquiryed
- For creating Visuals/Infographics/Data Visualization